Sunday, June 16, 2013

Swatches and review: OPI San Francisco collection

Hi ladies! Awhile back, I had the honour to attend a product launch breakfast as a guest of OPI's PR company. Following the exciting event, an incredible goodie bag was provided for the guests and as a result, I have the utmost pleasure in sharing the gorgeous nail polishes from OPI's San Francisco collection with you today. This beautiful collection consists of 15 nail polishes so be prepared for a huge post!

All the formulas were easy to work with, something I've come to expect from my OPIs nowadays. Almost all the swatches show two coats.

First up, the crèmes and jelly formulas of the collection.

A-piers to be tan is a yellow toned brown. It looks terrible on me but I will definitely find many uses for it in nail art :)

a-piers to be tan

a-piers to be tan

Keeping Suzi at bay is a gorgeous blue crelly. At first glance it looks like a dupe to OPI...Eurso Euro from the Euro Centrale collection but it's a lot less bright and has a slightly dusty look next to the Eurso Euro. Very appropriate for the cooler season!

keeping suzi at bay

keeping suzi at bay

In the cable car-pool  lane is a burgandy jelly. It looks similar to OPI Anti-bleak but with a jelly-ish formula. I say jelly-ish because it's definitely somewhere between a crelly and a jelly.

in the cable car-pool lane

in the cable car-pool lane

Lost in Lombard is a dusty red nail polish. I love the dusty look - it's just so appropriate for the cooler months! However, it's not exactly a unique colour but for someone who is only just exploring the red toned shades in the nail polish world, this one is a keeper.

lost on lombard

lost on lombard

First date at the Golden Gate is quite similar to Lost in Lombard...initially. You can see that it is a more orange toned red and it's got more of a jelly finish. I'm a bit torn between the two because whilst I prefer the shade of Lost in Lombard, I love the name of First date the Golden Gate more. Dilemma!

first date at the golden gate

first date at the golden gate

Incognito in Susalito is definitely one of my favourites from the crèmes this half of the collection. No surprise really, given that it's so dark and dusty ♥ It's a very dark shade of inky blue, but not to the point where it looks black. Loveeeeeee!

incognito in sausalito

incognito in sausalito

Dining Alfrisco is a light sky blue with a dense silver shimmer. The shimmer almost gives the polish a frosty appearance and you have to be a little more careful to avoid obvious brush strokes. Very pretty though, and in a shade of blue I adore ♥

dining al frisco

dining al frisco

I knead sour-dough has a beautiful red shimmer running throughout it, giving the overall shade a red-toned brown look. This one is definitely very appropriate for the cooler weather and really reminds me of hot chocolate ;)

i knead sour-dough

i knead sour-dough

i knead sour-dough

Haven't the foggiest is a dense silver foil. Has a blue tinge to it.

haven't the foggiest

haven't the foggiest

Muir muir on the wall. Where do I even start?! It's a gorgeous dark burgundy shade with the most awesome shimmer. I have to admit, when I first saw this in person, it reminded me so much of Every month is Octoberfest, from the Germany collection from last year's Fall collection. For a quick comparison, here is my review of Every month is Octoberfest from last year (I believe there was a mix up with the labelling of this polish and German-icure by OPI - the bottle I received was named the latter, hence the name difference in my review. It has since been confirmed to be EMIO though).

muir muir on the wall

muir muir on the wall

muir muir on the wall

Peace & love & OPI is the beautiful duochrome of the collection. Yes, the press release did describe this one to be a holographic polish and no, it isn't holographic. A little bit of a bummer, but the gorgeous colour shift does make up for it a little :) The shift is in no way subtle and you can constantly catch yourself staring at your nails when wearing Peace & love & OPI...at least, I did ;)

peace & love & opi

peace & love & opi

peace & love & opi

Embarca-dare ya is a bright raspberry shimmer. There is a slight duochrome shift visible in the bottle but it doesn't make an appearance on the nail, unfortunately.

embarca-dare ya

embarca-dare ya

Ahhh, now for the Liquid Sands :)

Wharf wharf wharf is the first of two Liquid Sands made by OPI so far which do not have a glitter finish. It applies like a crème polish but once dry, forms a gritty and textured finish. I'm actually surprised that I like this polish, considering I was expecting glitters.

wharf wharf wharf

wharf wharf wharf

It's all San Andrea's fault is the second Liquid Sand without the glitter finish. Again, I was surprised that I liked it - you can expect to see this in a chocolate themed manicure shortly too ;)

it's all san andreas's fault

it's all san andreas's fault

it's all san andreas's fault

Alcatraz...rocks. Ahhhh, the beautiful multicoloured Liquid Sand. This was the only polish which required three coats from me to be fully opaque, although I'm sure you can get away with two thicker coats. I have no words, just ogle instead ♥ It's no wonder this one is my favourite from the collection - actually, I don't know if I love Peace & love & OPI or Alcatraz...rocks more ;) They're both too beautiful!

alcatraz...rocks

alcatraz...rocks

Whew, that was one huge post! My picks from this collection will have to be Peace & love & OPI, Incognito in Sausalito, Muir muir on the wallWharf wharf wharf and Alcatraz...rocks. What will you be getting when this collection is released?

The San Francisco collection will be available from August 8th at David Jones, Myer stores and selected beauty salons & saps across Australia. Each bottle retails for $19.95.

Thanks for reading!
~Sharon
Products were received as a gift from the PR company, which did not influence my opinion.

26 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting all of the polishes in one coat, I thought that was really helpful. The ones that caught my eye are I Knead sourdough, peace love and opi, and alcatraz rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post not coat...gah :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! I love them all, except the caramel brown which wouldn't suit me either. A Qu, can u see the difference between liquid sands and normal polishes just by looking at the bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely swatches. I've been so looking forward to seeing how Muir Muir on the Wall looks. Would it be too much to ask for comparison photos of Muir Muir and EMiO? How similar are Incognito in Susalito and Ski Teal We Drop?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Embarca-dare ya looks like you only live twice from the james bond collection. Do you know the differences between those two nail polishes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I actually don't own You only live twice so I can't say much about the two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going for Dining Al Frisco, I think it'll look good while there's still summer and then again in winter. Not really a color for fall in my opinion, but I don't have a blue similar to that yet.

    And then about In The Cable Car-Pool Lane; I've been wanting a burgandy jelly so bad for fall, would you say this is the one? Not everyone calls it a jelly, some says it's just a cream. Is it jelly-ish enough to go as a jelly or would you keep searching?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ordered Alcatraz Rocks & Peace, Love & OPI, all the others are too similar to shades I own, but super excited about getting these guys! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That brown does look gross! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choice with Dining Al Frisco, I'm' wearing it again now! :D


    I don't actually own any true jellies, so I do find In the cable car-pool lane quite jelly :) It's definitely not a true jelly, more of a crelly but it's squishy enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you got those two, they're definitely the stand outs from the collection in my opinion :) And also my absolute favourites from it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 20.00 for a bottle? Wow, its 8.50 in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nail polish is definitely really expensive here in Australia. Which is why online shopping is always such a relief :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow beautiful swatches!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's even more in the UK £11.50 rrp...

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's nothing like. Embarka is a bright fuchsia shimmer...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got Haven't the foggiest, Peace, Love and OPI and waiting for Alcatraz Rocks...♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, you're going to love Alcatraz...rocks! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so sorry for the huge delay in getting the comparison post up! I've finally posted it though, here is the link: http://polishinfatuated.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/opi-san-francisco-collection-comparisons.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for doing the post and for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're most welcome, Vedrana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have it now.. and I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. In The Cable Car-Pool is so beautiful to me and Embarca dare-ya and Alcatraz rocks .I love them all Thanks for the lovely review..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you do! :D Reminds me that I should pull mine out and wear it again soon... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're most welcome, Wanda! I'm glad you found the review helpful :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...